Use the information on this page to assist your communications needs.
Please note our department’s primary contact for media relations and university communications:
Media Relations Specialist
Tel: (213) 740-5277
For all other Department of Preventive Medicine communications questions that aren’t addressed on this page, please contact us.
If you are seeking assistance in promoting something to the media, or would like assistance if a journalist reaches out to you, contact our media relations specialist (information at the top of this page).
Story Ideas & Suggestions
Do you have a story idea? Speak to our media relations representative.
Faculty, Student, Staff or Alumni
Nominate an exemplary Trojan for a My USC Story profile.
Award or Honor
Contact our media relations representative.
Research Finding or Trend
Contact our media relations representative.
Book or Other Publication
Please submit to the department portal.
Please see the information in the Public Events Promotion section below. If you want to submit your post-event writeup and photos to the department portal. For major events involving public figures, contact our media relations representative.
USC’s central media relations team generally does not cover grant awards. Journalists are more interested in research findings. However, if your award is more than $15 million, email email@example.com. Otherwise, submit to the department portal.
New Center, Hire, Leadership or Rebrand
Submit to department portal.
Degree and university rankings and trends
Submit to department portal.
Note: Imagery is vital to every story you submit. Please read USC’s imagery guidelines and ensure you provide interesting and high quality visuals to accompany your story.
Please refer to Editorial Style Guide for Keck Medicine of USC and the Keck School of Medicine of USC to ensure your writing is consistent and to USC standards.
Department of Preventive Medicine calendar: Our department calendar on USC’s public events calendar system provides a central place to advertise events to a wider community, as well as some additional features. This calendar displays at calendar.usc.edu as well as our homepage, News & Events page and the Soto 1 lobby television, and can be customized to display on various websites.
- Guidelines: Check USC’s event guidelines make sure your event is the right fit for the calendar.
- Archiving & RSVPs: The Department of Preventive Medicine Calendar cannot collect or manage RSVPs or be relied upon as a comprehensive event archive. If you are collecting RSVPs for your event, consider using a third-party tool like Google Forms or Office Forms.
- Submit Your Event: 1) Log into your USC NetID account to access the event submission form; 2) Follow these steps to submit your event; Important: Select “Preventive Medicine” in the department section to ensure your event gets added to our calendar; 3) The submitted event will be reviewed. If your event doesn’t appear on the calendar within 48 hours, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know.
- Additional Features: If your group hosts enough unique events per semester to qualify for your own “department” calendar, you can request one; however, please note that you will be responsible for managing that calendar and approving submitted events. A recommended approach would be to set up a tag for your group on our existing Department of Preventive Medicine calendar, which will allow you customize your own calendar widget for your website to display only your events. If you do create your own department calendar, please let us know at email@example.com so we can include it in our calendar displays.
- Keck Events Promotion
Flyers: If you create a flyer, you may post it in the mounted plastic casings in and outside of the SSB elevators. Please do not tape them to any walls. You may also pin them to any public bulletin boards in SSB and around campus. For templates, visit our request portal.
Social Media: USC does not generally share event notices. However, if your Department of Preventive Medicine group is hosting a public event, please please tag any of our Public Health Sciences accounts and we will share to our channels. You may also add us as a co-host to your Facebook Event so it appears on our Facebook calendar. Be sure to tag anyone involved (speakers, the speakers’ organizations, co-hosts, etc.) in your event on social media when posting about the event, and follow up with them asking them to share the posts they have been tagged in.
Room Reservations: If you need to schedule a space for your event, please see these links:
- Soto Street Building 1
- Norris Medical Library
- Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center
- USC School of Pharmacy
- Campus venues
- USC Libraries
Read USC Communications Council’s advice about planning and promoting events (login required). In addition, here are some tips to reach a larger number of people about your event:
- Add your event to our calendar (see steps above) on USC’s central calendar system.
- List your event on the Keck Calendar (see above), which feeds to Keck website, and Keck News and Notes and Research Events emails.)
- To promote events to faculty and staff, email the employee gateway: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Are you hoping to get media coverage for the event (or are you already working with media)? If a non-science audience would understand the speakers and if the talking points are applicable to the general public, contact our media relations specialist (see above section on media relations for more information).
- Email student groups at USC.
- Ask for your event to be included in the Graduate Student Government and Undergraduate Student Government update emails.
- Tag any relevant organizations in your social media posts. If you tag our department’s social media channels (see below), we will do our best to share to our followers.
Download the Keck wordmark and logotypes, and access graphic identity policies and guidance, at kecknet.usc.edu/brand_central.
For questions regarding logo usage or graphic standards for Keck Medicine of USC, please email: email@example.com.
Learn more about USC’s policies on USC’s identity website.
Download the Keck School of Medicine of USC PowerPoint template from this page:https://kecknet.usc.edu/brand_central/Pages/Templates.aspx
Research Poster Templates:
- Keck 36x48_Trifold_Template
- Learn more about tips and templates for your research posters on this page.
- Manage your faculty profile: https://keck.usc.edu/faculty-profile-help/
- Join USC Press Room’s experts directory, or update your profile: https://web-app.usc.edu/experts-update/new.php
- Schedule your faculty profile headshot: https://keck.usc.edu/requests/faculty-photo-request/
Our website is managed by a core staff team within the Department of Preventive Medicine. More information on website services and support coming soon.
Build a free website
Sites at USC is a high-quality, self-service option for building, hosting, and maintaining public websites at no cost. Learn more: https://itservices.usc.edu/sites/. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you go this route so we can include your website and social media in our department directory.
If your website needs exceed that of Sites at USC and you have the staffing and/or funding to support this request, please email us at email@example.com.
See the directory for social media accounts related to the USC Department of Preventive Medicine. To request your account(s) be added or removed from that page and our Twitter lists, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please refer to USC’s social media guidelines: https://identity.usc.edu/brand-use-guidelines/social-media/
More information coming soon.
The Preventive Medicine Soto Studio at the Keck School of Medicine of USC has become an integral part of the USC Health Sciences Campus. Since October 2012, it has developed a model approach in distance education. Soto Studio is also used by the Southern California Clinical and Translation Science Institute (SC CTSI) and various departments across USC to produce video lectures that enable a flipped classroom teaching style by delivering instructional content outside of the classroom and using class time to explore topics in greater depth and with meaningful learning opportunities.
To learn more about the studio and its services, visit https://sotostudio.usc.edu.
More information about the department’s photography and video services is coming soon.
See USC YouTube video production guidelines and information about how to request your videos’ inclusion on USC’S channel: https://identity.usc.edu/digital/usc-channel-on-youtube-video-quality-guidelines/
Please also email us at email@example.com so we can add your video(s) either to our department’s YouTube channel or playlists.
Our department manages a Flickr account, which you may search at this link to find photos related to our faculty, students and programs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/uscphs.
Please let us know if you have a Flickr account or other photo repository that we may advertise on our directory.